In a Backer Zone, 4 long sticks will split the field into 4 quadrants.
This leaves us with strategic options with the short sticks:
- one can lock off the crease while the other functions as a backer.
- one can lock off the crease while the other locks off a star player.
- both can lock off two star players
- one can lock off the crease while the other plays whoever is behind GLE.
The Backer M6 floats towards the ball:
- this will make it almost impossible for dodger to beat us one on one as the back is always there to support the defender, leaving the only way to beat it as quick ball movement which is very difficult at the youth level.
The Backer Zone also ensures that the long stick is pressuring the ball, taking away an opponent's ability to dodge on a short stick.
This will also make it much easier for the longpoles to learn strategy and transition from a 6 man zone to a man-down zone to a 2-man-down zone as their responsibilities are basically the same in each.